June 2013 – ICRA Member Sheryl Engler
Sheryl Engler, Idaho CSR, Texas CSR, Oregon CSR, Washington CCR, and RPR
2. Freelance or Official or Captioner/CART:
I am currently working as an Official Court Reporter for the Honorable John R. Stegner. I have been here for nearly six years. Before accepting that
position, I was a freelance court reporter in Walla Walla, Washington, for ten years.
I report in Moscow, Idaho; however, I live in Viola, Idaho, a small town just north of Moscow
4. Three to five things we don’t know about you:
- I’ve recently enjoyed taking classes on fabricating draperies and do it when I have time.
- We’ve been building our home in Viola and are doing a lot of the finish work because we like laying tile, painting, putting in flooring, etc. When we were living in Walla Walla we had an old farmhouse that was built in 1876 that we gutted and remodeled.
- I lived in Houston, Texas, for 15 years where I attended court reporting school and raised my family.
- I went to England, and in the course of my husband’s work got to spend time with Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh (Queen Elizabeth’s mother’s husband) and stood just feet from Queen Elizabeth’s mother. As well, I sat with a gentleman that was knighted by the Queen for heroic service in saving the Queen’s life, but in the process, his own wife was killed.
I have been married to my sweet husband for 37 years and have four wonderful children who are married and have fabulous spouses. I have 8 grandchildren. My husband and two of my boys shoe horses for a living and my other son is a nurse. My daughter is going to school to be a dietician. We have cats, dogs, mules and horses.
6. Most interesting job:
I don’t know if it was the most interesting, but I took a deposition of a German brewer who talked about growing hops (they call them hop gardens). And the problem was that when they developed a good variety of a hop, other growers would come steal the hop out of the field to graft into their own variety. I learned so much about beer in that deposition.
7. Favorite vacation, either trip or spot:
My mother lives in Island Park, Idaho. She lives in an A-frame house on the little golf course there. In the wintertime the snow would pile up to the second floor. We can go right out the back door and jump on the snowmobiles and take off riding. Or we can rent cross-country skies from the resort and ski on the golf course. In the summer it is fun to go down to the river or into Yellowstone Park. I often see Moose there in Island Park. Yellowstone is only 30 minutes. It’s a scenic and fun place to visit.
I like to travel, work on houses, do a little sewing, and spending time with my kids and grandkids.